At Broomhill First School we understand that Design and Technology (DT) allows pupils to solve problems, think creatively and develop ideas. DT offers pupils a chance to use creative thinking and activity within a defined purpose and tangible outcome.
Our school is committed to nurturing pupils’ curiosity and creativity, as well as preparing them for living in a modern world where technology is rapidly changing and advancing.
DT is part of our STEM curriculum, which is designed to help our pupils to answer the question 'How can we change the world for the better?'
In teaching DT, we aim to help pupils:
- Develop their design and making skills.
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of design and technologies.
- Use a wide range of tools and materials.
- Learn about working safely and protective measures.
- Work individually and collaborate with other pupils in a variety of contexts.
- Develop the capability to create products of a high standard through skills and understanding.
- Evaluate products, made by themselves, their peer groups and companies.
- Explore the man-made world and encourage discussion of how we live and work within it.
- Develop an interest in and understanding of technological processes.
- Learn the principles of nutrition, healthy eating and how to cook.